MP-Lingualism - It's not what you think!

Trond Trosterud trond.trosterud at hum.uit.no
Fri Oct 29 11:08:07 UTC 2004

29.10.2004 kello 02:03, hsmr at pacific.net.hk kirjoitti:

 >  Thus, as soon as it becomes known that one is foreign, and many
times before, the selected mode of speech  by East Asians is English --
no matter the level of proficiency of the foreign speaker. This
presents an enormous barrier for learning one's host language.

A bit off the topic, but I can't resist:

If addressed in English when asking your way in Cantonese, just reply
in French (or Spanish...), and then ask (in Cantonese) whether they
speak French etc., and tell them that you don't speak English. It works
fine in Europe, I have practised it (with success) in several language
communities.

Trond.

Trond Trosterud                                        t +47 7764 4763
Institutt for språkvitskap, Det humanistiske fakultet  m +47 950 70140
N-9037 Universitetet i Tromsø, Noreg                   f +47 7764 4239
Trond.Trosterud (a) hum.uit.no          http://www.hum.uit.no/a/trond/