Native Language Classes Aim to Ease Transition to English

Stan-Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Sat Oct 30 17:16:31 UTC 2004

Hi Aurolyn,

>>From my perspective of working in the Americas, I'd have to agree with you. I think the number of monolinguals in the New World is increasing, as indigenous people and immigrants switch to Spanish, English, and Portuguese only.

I don't know that much about the rest of the world, but it seems to me that the language ecology in Africa and Asia is very different from the Americas. However, it seems to me that the number of monolinguals is decreasing there.

Speaking in very broad sweeps, I would venture to say that urbanization in the Americas results in people becoming monolingual in Spanish, English, or Portuguese in a relatively short time. However, urbanizaton in Africa and Asia seems to me to have the opposite effect. In Africa and Asia, urbanization seems to make people less monolingual.

If we look at numbers, the population of the Americas is smaller than that of Asia and Africa. So, from that perspective, I'd have to say that the number of monolinguals in the world is decreasing.

I don't know that it's a very helpful conclusion, but I find it interesting to think about.

Stan Anonby