Hong Kong English

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 17:51:18 UTC 2004

Anthea:

I am convinced that you are quite the tourist and enjoy drinking
coffee. I drink very little coffee and find tourism to be a sort of
addiction like watching television -- only it is more expensive and
only truly affordable by the world's wealthy.  Thus, we appear to
approach the entire notion of cross-cultural communication differently.

As before, I will address only those issues that I feel worthy. Please
forgive me, if I bypass others. Certainly you are welcome to bring your
points up again, if you give them higher priority.

As I am not familiar with either the Hui 2001 or Bolton 2002 articles,
I am only able to comment on their results as you have presented them.

Firstly, what one thinks about one's own ability, and how other's
perceive it, can lead to very different conclusions. Hong Kongers are
some of the most traveled people in the world. If they are measuring
their own command of English by their ability to find their way along
the world's major tourist routes, one can only wonder about their true
ability. It is one thing to be able to order a cup of coffee in three
languages, find your way to the toilet, and comment on the weather; it
is quite another to hold a lengthy conversation about current events,
sensitive political issues, or differences in cultural value. Also,
Hong Kong is an important East Asian tourist attraction, but most of
Hong Kong's foreign visitors come from other wealthy East Asian
countries such as Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, and Singapore. Among
these only Singaporeans have generally better ability in the English
language than do Hong Kongers. Thus, Hong Kongers overall domestic
standard of international comparison is quite low.

Secondly, I agree with you, when you say that age plays an important
role. Certainly, the 17% of Hong Kongers who claimed that they had no
English ability are probably among the very aged, or they are
immigrants from the Chinese mainland. With a universal English language
(UEL) requirement that extends from primary school to three years of
secondary school and longer, it is difficult to find anyone in Hong
Kong that does not at least no how to say "Hello!" and "Good-bye!".
Does this mean that they are bilingual in any meaningful sense of the
word? Probably not.

Thirdly, my understanding of the nature of language use in Hong Kong
primary and secondary schools appears to be quite different than yours.
Of the 514 certified public secondary schools in Hong Kong 400 of them
qualified as English Medium of Instruction (EMI) schools in 2004. In
order to qualify as an EMI school at least some of the schools
non-language subjects must be taught in English. This could mean
anything from learning from textbooks written in English with
completely Cantonese instruction to actually receiving instruction in
English.

In order to provide you with better perspective let us consider the
results of the 2002 HKCEE results. The HKCEE must be passed by a Form V
student, if he wishes to advance to the senior secondary level and have
a crack at entry into a Hong Kong university. Form V students may
choose to take their non-language examinations in either Chinese or
English. In 2002 40% of those who sat for the HKCEE elected to take
their non-English language examinations (mathematics, history, biology,
etc.) in Chinese. If you consider that only 80% of all Hong Kongers
even bother to sit for the HKCEE, already we are looking at well over
50% of the population between the ages of 15 and 17, who lack
sufficient confidence in the English language to sit for a passive
non-language related examination. The overall failure rate for the
English language test itself is well over 30%. Once again, we are
looking at well over 40% of the population between the ages of 15 and
17 with measured incompetence. Please keep in mind that these students
have spent approximately 20% of their classroom and homework lives for
11 years in pursuit of the English language. In addition, only 20% of
all students pass the second major filter known as the HKAEE at the end
of form VII and not all of these make it into the university. Moreover,
when one looks at the results of those who actually graduate from a
Hong Kong university six years after having passed the HKCEE, one is
astonished by how few are even considered competent users by the IELTS
in terms of English writing and speaking ability.

Before spending a lot of the lists time about something that may be of
interest only to you and me, may I recommend that you download the
HKLNA-Project's first research proposal and read through Appendix 1.
After you have finished the appendix, check out the sections entitled
"Hong Kong's English speaking community" and "Those who would promote
the UEL requirement". If you still insist afterwards that 50% of the
Hong Kong population has sufficient command of the English language to
get by, and that this ability was acquired in Hong Kong, then please
get back to me on the list. I would not want to give Hong Kong a bad
rub that it does not deserve.

The proposal can be obtained at
<http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/current/hklna/documents/
proposals/030828-1a.pdf>

Cheers,

Hamo

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349