Aaaargh, again. (Program enlists Santa Ana parents as 'first teachers')

Rachel R. Reynolds rrr28 at drexel.edu
Sat Sep 11 10:39:14 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone.

Reading these two "Aaaaargh" threads about linguistically ignorant/outdated
journalists with baited breathe (my most hated, by the way, is the
literacy/orality divide).  I'm in a department that has a very large
program in Communication that trains journalism majors, to whom I teach
Intro to Sociolinguistics and an upper level Intercultural Communication
class.  We're thinking of revamping the program to better train our
students to cope with the decline of a real research-basis in journalistic
reporting.  So all of your comments on this thread are making me realize I
have a tangible opportunity to develop a course called something like
"Linguistics for Journalists" that would not only include some basic recent
research on major issues that come up again and again in the press, but
also some ideas for budding reporters about how to network with reliable
scholars to stay current.  If any of you have:  a) ideas for syllabi
including readings, and/or b) comments on this enterprise in general, I'd
love to hear from you.  On or off list...

Thanks,

Rachel Reynolds
Drexel University