non-nons

Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Thu Sep 23 19:37:24 UTC 2004

I very much agree with Aurolyn's "sense is that what's really happening with
 "non-nons" is that they speak non-standard varieties
 of each of their two languages, and thus aren't
 recognized as "proper" speakers of anything."  The people I hear talking
about this concept are usually teachers and others who are quite caught up
with the idea of speaking properly.

Could it be that the folks who identify themselves as "non-nons" do so for
the same reasons?  i.e. They believe their teacher's opinion to be the
truth?

I also agree that part of the answer has to do with domains.  For example,
there may be some people haven't fully entered into the Quechua world, and
neither have they fully entered into the Spanish world.  Since they're
between two worlds, might it make sense that they're between two languages
as well, not fully at home in either?  Might hey control some domains better
in Spanish, and other domains better in Quechua?

Stan Anonby