more on non-nons

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 21:49:30 UTC 2004

Re teachers reinforcing the idea of "non-nons"...

> Could it be that the folks who identify themselves
> as "non-nons" do so for the same reasons?  i.e. They
believe their teacher's opinion to be the truth?

Seems plausible. While many of these folks have a
definitely critical perspective on formal ed, not many
are versed in the subtleties of standard/non-standard
varieties, and certainly there's plenty of ind. lg.
"purism" floating around too (a powerful ideology even
among supposed "non-nons").

> maybe some people haven't fully entered into
> the Quechua world, and neither have they fully
entered into the Spanish world.  Since they're between
two worlds, might it make sense that they're between
two languages
> as well, not fully at home in either?  Might they
> control some domains better in Spanish, and other
domains better in Quechua?

Certainly, I think they do (don't we all?). I should
mention though, that at least in (urban & peri-urban)
Bolivia, it's kind of misleading to speak of separate
"Quechua" and "Spanish" worlds. There are LOTS of
people who speak only "Quechuañol" -- i.e., a very
Quechua-influeced variety of Spanish (or
Spanish-influenced variety of Quechua, depending on
the speaker and on your p.o.v.). These folks are NOT
bilingual inasmuch as they don't control two distinct
codes. Maybe instead of "non-nons", we should consider
the "betweens"? (or, a bit more musically,
"tweeners"). Not that a new designation helps them out
much, but it'd be a little more accurate.
Aurolyn

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/state/la-me-reading6sep06

> > > teachers' to help their

> 3-year-old