digitizing US newspapers

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 12 13:23:03 UTC 2005

Dear list-members,

The following item from the Chronicle for Higher Education mentions a
grant program from the US National Endowment for the Humanities for
digitizing newspapers from the early 20th century.  When you read the fine
print (go to http://www.neh.fed.us/projects/ndnp.html) you see that this
is only for newspapers in ENGLISH.  My concern and question is whether
anyone has experience with using newspapers in languages other than
English printed in the US during the 19th and 20th centuries, and what the
prognosis might be for preservation of those materials?

My experience has been that these materials are often in atrocious
shape--neglected, ignored, denigrated, and often sent for recyling when
space needs become more important than preservation.  I do note that an
earlier program, the United States Newspaper Program
(http://www.neh.fed.us/projects/usnp.html)  mentions some non-English
newspapers, e.g. a Texas project, "which includes the newspapers of
Jewish, Czech, and German settlers" and newspapers in Hawaiian (in Hawaii)
and in Cherokee (in Oklahoma) but in general, the notion conveyed is the
usual anglo-centric one, i.e. "all we need to know about US history can be
learned through English."

Is anybody besides me concerned about this issue enough to try to mount a
grant proposal to save non-English papers on a larger scale?

Hal Schiffman