Korean in Japan

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 22:52:48 UTC 2005

Fellow list members,

Assuming that high school enrolment is approximately equal across
schools, the new enrolment in Korean language courses is about 13%.  In
so far as Korea is Japan's closest neighbor it is a fairly substantial
and certainly praiseworthy increase for the high schools involved. Now
lets put things into perspective.

In 2001 there were 4,053, 627 Japanese students enrolled in Japanese
high schools. Dividing this enrolment figure into those provided in the
Asahi Shimbun article yields the following:

Chinese:    0.42%
Korean:     0.17%
French:     0.16%
German:   0.08%
Others:     0.08%      TOTAL:     0.91%
Source:<http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/toukei/002/002b/14/xls/
hyo14035.xls>

In short, not even 1% of all Japanese high school students are trying
to learn a language other than Japanese and English. If I remember
correctly the number of foreigners living in Japan is somewhat over 1%.
Certainly Koreans are Japan's largest foreign ethnic group.

Hamo

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349

p.s. Mostari I have not forgotten you, simply I have a paper to present
on the 16th.