The magic of ignorance - English a false prophet?

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Jan 24 17:33:42 UTC 2005

Dear Hal and fellow contributors,

As I am not sure why you changed the title of our thread, please
forgive me, if I submit my reply under the subject title to which both
Moses and Anthea had responded. Also, please let me begin by thanking
you for providing greater focus on what appears to be the issue
currently at hand.

If I might return to the statistics I provided from Malaysia's 2001
national census. When the census was conducted there were 24 million
people resident in Malaysia. Among these were four major language
groups that can probably be subdivided into many more language
subgroups and dialects. So, as not to complicate the issue, however,
let us assume that everyone belonged to one of these major groups and
that all members of each group spoke in their mother tongue.

Among these four major groups were the Bumiputera Malays (62.2%) , the
Chinese (24.8%), the South Asians (7.4%), and the non-Malaysians (5.6%)
whose language and ethnicity are unknown. Although it is unclear in my
mind where the South Asian and non-Malaysians are resident, it seems
pretty clear that the Chinese Malaysians occupy Malaysia's cities. In
addition, we know that in 2000 thirty-eight percent of all Malaysians
lived in rural areas. This means that if there were no South Asians and
non-Malaysians living in the cities that Malay speakers outnumbered
Chinese speakers about 3 to 2. This makes Chinese an extremely large
urban minority.

Assuming that the information provided by Saran Gill in her book
_International Communication_ is correct, Chinese speakers may study in
English language medium schools provided that they also learn Bahasa
Malaysian, Malaysia's national language. The extent to which these
Chinese attend private schools, and the extent to which they are
trained in the English medium is unclear to me. I am fairly certain
that English is a required language in all of Malaysia's public
schools, just as it is a required language in many, certainly not all
European countries. The question, then, is the preferred language,
between mother tongue Malays and mother tongue Chinese. Is it Bahasa
Malaysian, the national language, or is it English, or some confused
mixture of both. If it is the latter that we are calling English than I
fear that we have different concepts of what is intelligible to the
global English ear. Whatever it is, some have apparently labeled it
basolectal and mesolectal Malaysian English.

In any case, Saran Gill's struggle to create a standardized Malaysian
English that is intelligible to the global ear only applies to the two
percent of all Malaysian that I described in a former email. How this
can be achieved by forcing all Malaysians including ethnic Chinese, and
rural Malaysians to study mathematics and science in the English
language beginning in primary one and eventually extending all the way
until they have completed secondary school is quite beyond me.
Certainly, I would be happy to listen to your insight and that of
others in this regard.

By the way, if I have understood the new ruling correctly, beginning in
2003 "... the teaching of science and mathematics will be taught in
English in Standard One ..." (Gill 2002, p. 118). Standard one is
Malaysia's primary one level.

Hamo