Book Notice: Sociolinguistics: The Study of Speakers' Choices

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 1 15:09:26 UTC 2005

Forwarded from Linguist-List,
Sociolinguistics: The Study of Speakers' Choices

Cambridge University Press, 2005 http://us.cambridge.org

Book URL: http://us.cambridge.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521836067

Author: Florian Coulmas

Abstract:

This accessible new textbook provides a clear introduction to
sociolinguistics, the study of why we speak the way we do, and the social
factors that influence our linguistic decisions. Based on the notion of
'choice' - that as speakers we select from the options open to us - it
provides a solid theoretical framework to deal with the most fascinating
characteristic of language: its variability and diversity. Topics covered
include dialects, gender and age specific speech forms, professional
jargons, diglossia, bilingualism, code-switching, pidgin languages, and
language planning, all of which are unified by the common theme that
speakers, by making choices, create their language. Drawing on linguistic
variation from a wide range of societies and their languages, this is set
to become a key text for all students of sociolinguistics, and will be
welcomed by anyone interested in the complex interaction between language
and society.

1. Introduction: notions of language

Part I. Micro Choices:

2. Standard and dialect: social stratification as a factor of linguistic
	choice
3. Gendered speech: sex as a factor of linguistic choice
4. Communicating across generations: age as a factor of linguistic choice
5. Choice and change
6. Politeness: cultural dimensions of linguistic choice

Part II. Macro Choices:

7. Code-switching: linguistic choices across boundaries
8. Diglossia and bilingualism: functional restrictions on language choice
9. Language spread, shift and maintenance: how groups choose their
	language
10. Language and identity: individual, social, national
11. Language planning: communication demands, public choice, utility
12. Select letters: a major divide
13. The language of choice

Hardback: ISBN: 0521836069 Pages: 272 Price: U.S. $ 75.00
Hardback: ISBN: 0521836069 Pages: 272 Price: U.K.  40.00
Paperback: ISBN: 0521543932 Pages: 272 Price: U.S. $ 29.99
Paperback: ISBN: 0521543932 Pages: 272 Price: U.K.  16.99