Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Mon Jun 27 18:05:48 UTC 2005

At 1:28 PM -0400 6/27/05, Francis M Hult wrote:
>This goes back to an issue I've brought up on the list several times
>before--how do we go about actually getting noticed where it
>'counts' (publically, politically, etc.) so that people at large
>actually heed (or even believe) what we say?

As an anthropologist, I have similar concerns about issues like
"race," "IQ," "Intelligent Design / Creationism" vs. evolution, and
so on and on. Frankly, as I am about to turn 60, I don't see things
getting better any time soon. We have as a culture, I think, always
valued what I call Willful Ignorance ("ignorance is bliss"). But now,
in the current climate, we have entered a period of Bellicosely
Intensified Glorification of Willful IGnorance, or "BIGWIG." People
like us who actually know a few things about stuff are portrayed as
pinheaded ivory-tower leftist academics who don't really work for a
living, and every knuckleheaded opinion about anything is given the
same weight as one we might develop from years of careful research.
For a non-linguistic example, see W's flat-out rejection of the
scientific consensus on global warming.

I've pretty much given up on large-scale change in these areas; I
just focus on my classes and do what I can. Oh, and play my banjo.

Ron