Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 23:00:03 UTC 2005

Hi Ron,
> while there may be a greater
> *number* of detectable language disorders, I'm
> interested in the *percentage* of people who
> display them.

Well, I think the same logic would apply (of there
being more points where the system can fail). The only
pun I could think of was something about things
getting Broca down, sorry  :-(

> In the case of the West
> African student, he had spoken English all his
> life; it was one of his native languages. I am
> pretty sure (sure enough to bet at least $5) that
> the teacher who suggested therapy for him was one
> of our local yokels who saw a dark-skinned person
> standing in front of her and shut him out.

Maybe. But even if his English was native, that's no
guarantee that it was 90% intelligible with the
English from another continent! More and more I prefer
to think of English as a family of languages.

> Now, I do agree that non-native speakers of
> English who are teaching (or studying) in an
> English-speaking context need to be proficient
> enough to understand and be understood;
> similarly, I would expect to be required to be
> proficient in Spanish if I were to go teach or
> study in a Spanish-speaking country. But I
> probably wouldn't have a "standard" Spanish
> accent, since most of my Spanish has been tuned
> to Caribbean folk.

My own first teaching job was in Spanish, and mine was
very far from standard, since I acquired it from
Aymara-speaking teenagers in rural Bolivia. And my
students in the Bolivian U later on had a hard time of
it, from what they told me. In fact they came close to
asking for my removal, ostensibly because of their
difficulty understanding me. I wouldn't rule out some
anti-Yankee prejudice there, but when I look at my
class notes from that period, I wince, so their
complaints were probably justified (and yes, I know
this will probably provoke comments about First
Worlders in Third World contexts as opposed to vice
versa). Later we became great friends. And my Spanish
got better.

> Aruskipasipxañanakasakipunirakispawa!

That's most of the Aymara I remember right there. But
I can still use it to impress acquaintances here in
CBBA.
Cheers,
Aurolyn

 "The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt