Respond to Piscopo?

David Johnson davidcasselsjohnson at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:10:52 UTC 2005

In a previous email, Dr. Schiffman suggested that responses be developed for
Gregg Easterbrook's article in the New Republic. In a previous lgpolicy
strain, a conversation was generated by another list member, Francis Hult,
about linguistic and educational scholars lacking access to the public
relations and/or political machinery that might help engender more
multilingual language policies in the U.S. and stop initiatives such as
anti-bilingual education laws. (Is that close Francis? If I'm getting it
wrong let me know...)

Following Professor Schiffman's example, I would like to suggest that brief
letters be written in response to Rep. John Piscopo's comments in the
article below. He makes some clearly erroneous statements, seemingly based
more on ideological (or perhaps political) orientations towards language
than on any educational linguistic research. Interestingly, Piscopo seems to
use bilingual education's failure as support for an English-Only law (even
though other anti-bilingual education advocates like Rosalie Porter are
quick to disassociate with the English-Only camp).

This seems like an opportunity for those who are interested to engage a
policitician who has burgeoning interests in spearheading English-Only
legislation and seems to have bilingual education on his radar. So, I am
willing to compile and synthesize any letters sent to me which I will then
send to John Piscopo. I'm imagining a polite and reasonably brief letter,
quickly outlining the benefits of bilingual education. Letters from
Connecticut people (Connecticutians?) are encouraged. Who knows how he'll
respond - my bet is a very vague, meaningless form letter will arrive long
after I forget who John Piscopo is. But, who knows?
-David