From the Toronto Globe and Mail

veblen at uwm.edu veblen at uwm.edu
Wed Mar 2 14:41:12 UTC 2005

Grit is the colloquial term for the federal Liberal party, derived from the
"True Grits" reform movement of the 1850s. I guess it would be something like
calling the Republican party in the US the "GOP."

--
Marc V. Levine
Professor and Director

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050301/LIBERALS01/TPNational/Canada