School's Foreign-language pledge draws protest

Lynn Goldstein lgoldstein at miis.edu
Sat Mar 12 20:28:21 UTC 2005

Patriotism aside (since I don’t feel that the  act of saying the pledge in
other languages is unpatriotic or  disrespectful), I do find it strange
that as a way to celebrate multilingualism the school is having students
recite the pledge in languages other than English. If I look at it from
the point of view of a speech event, it’s the wrong medium (language) for
this speech event. I don’t understand why they don’t learn about the
national anthems or something like that in other languages.

Lynn
lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu on Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 12:04 PM