The magic of ignorance - English a false prophet?

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Mar 21 16:24:33 UTC 2005

Dear list members,

The first part of a three part interactive Quicktime movie about the
HKLNA-Project has been uploaded to the project's website and is ready
for you viewing. You can access the movie and the following
introduction at
<http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/current/hklna/ff/shows.html>

Part I - Getting To Know Hong Kong - As the language of a former
colonial power and an important language of global trade, world
government, and regional cooperation English plays a controversial role
in the education systems of many countries. For this reason
considerable prejudice towards the language, both positive and
negative, has developed. The purpose of this section is to overcome
these prejudices by introducing you to a few important facts about Hong
Kong's English language and society.

What will probably be the best part for most of you begins somewhere
near the middle. Nevertheless, I recommend a thorough review of what
comes before, because it sets the stage for what follows. As most
appear to agree, talking about language policy in a social vacuum is
not wise.

As the movie is long, please allow for more than sitting.

Certainly your critique will be well-received either on- or off-board.

Sincerely,

Hamo

R. A. Stegemann, B.A., M.A., M.A.
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349

p.s. The presentation contains zero Ethnologue data.