facts, Stegemann and Gupta

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 15:03:19 UTC 2005

I THINK (Paul, am I right) that all the extra languages that are listed
in the paragraph are languages that are not big enough to be listed in
the subsequent pages. That's why the bigger ones (like Tamil) come in
the listings. I think the scope of the 'also' is confusing, and must
presumably be unclear to many users of Ethnologue, but once you've
understood it it makes more sense.

I suppose there could be an arbitrary proportion of the population that
would trigger an entry in the listings. Though that would prevent some
very small and underprivileged groups (e.g. Jakun) being represented (I
think one issue here is the indigenous/immigrant dimension). But there
does seem to be no reason for excluding big groups such as Panjabi. I'd
like to see more upfront articulation of this stuff in the Ethnologue
website rather than us having to work it out for ourselves.

Another thing to consider in general is the extent to which foreigners
("people from Indonesia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand,
United Kingdom") should be included in these sketches. We can pretty
well assume that all countries will have some foreigners in them, and it
might just be easier (as in my Singapore text) to give some sort of
indication of the number of foreigners and identify any groups who are
especially numerous (such as people from South Asia in Qatar, for
example. I think (haven't checked this) that the most numerous
foreigners in Malaysia are Indonesians, though the fact that some of
them might be reluctant to be counted is a factor in estimating numbers!

My own feeling is to concentrate on citizens, but to give all citizens
equal treatment, regardless of where their ancestors came from.

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk