Conference announcement

Tariq Rahman trahman at berkeley.edu
Mon May 9 20:34:50 UTC 2005

Dear Dr Bhatt,
Thank you for keeping me informed about the conference. You will remember
that I told you that I would attend the conference if I stay in the United
States. At that time I was not sure whether I would complete my tenure of
three years or not. Now I have decided to go back home by the middle of
June this year. This is because my children cannot adjust in the
educational system which we cannot afford. They lost this year and so we
decided to go back home.
I am sorry that I will miss this conference and I offer my profound
apologies that you put my name on the website and all this labour seems to
ahve gone waste. Had I attended the conference, I may not have contributed
anything original but I would have met you and other linguists whom I read
with such admiration.
I wonder if video conferencing is possible? If not, can one send a video
with one's paper read out and taped on it? If these alternatives are
possible I could do it. I could also ring you at my expense for ten minutes
when the question and answer session is in progress. The phone can be
connected to a mike or something for all to hear.
These are just outlandish ideas and you need not take them seriously.
We must keep up the interaction even if we do not meet so soon.
Yours sincerely,
Tariq Rahman