Whither the southern accent?

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 17:32:22 UTC 2005

And as I've said before, in many respects  the trend east of the
Atlantic is the opposite. Certainly we hear a much wider range of
accents from TV and radio presenters than used to be the case. The
expression 'accentless' or 'losing an accent' is also less common in the
UK than in the US. Because, as Ron says, it's very apparent that you are
ACQUIRING another accent.

Uninflected tone, indeed. As they say in Singapore, how can?

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk