New School in Mitchell's Plain: learners are Afrikaans and Xhosa speaking

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 12 13:19:02 UTC 2005

SOURCE: Ministry of Education (Provincial Government of the Western Cape)

The opening of a new school in Tafelsig, Mitchell's Plain represents a
major investment in our efforts to provide a Learning Home for all our
children. This is also an investment in the future of this suburb and the
province as a whole, says Western Cape MEC for Education Cameron Dugmore.
"Since most of the learners are Afrikaans and Xhosa speaking, the opening
of this new school will also give us an exciting opportunity to develop a
language policy to build on a mother-tongue based bi-lingual education
policy.

"I have asked our Language Implementation Unit to engage with the
Education Management and Development Centre (EMDC) and the interim
governing body to develop a language policy for the school. I want to
ensure that both Xhosa as well as Afrikaans speaking learners will have an
opportunity to a solid foundation in their mother-tongue. This will inform
the process of the appointment of teachers," said MEC Dugmore. The Western
Cape Education Department (WCED) will open the new school at the start of
the 2006 school year. The new school, called Mitchell's Heights, is well
designed and has been built to the highest possible standards.

The school will offer Grades R to 9 and will especially meet the dire need
for accommodation in Grades 8 and 9 learners in the area. The WCED will
appoint an acting principal from 1 November 2005 and will transfer
permanent staff to the school with effect from 1 January 2006. The Circuit
Manager, Ms Prudence Demas, will work closely with the new principal and
staff as they prepare for the first intake of learners on Wednesday, 18
January, the first day of the 2006 school year. The local EMDC of the WCED
started registering learners for the new school on 3 October 2005.

The deadline for applications is 25 November 2005.

Said MEC Dugmore: "The opening of this school is part of our overall
efforts to provide quality education to all our learners, to achieve the
desired outcomes as contained in our Human Capital Development Strategy.

"We greatly appreciate the excellent support the community has given to
this project so far. The local community has supplied much of the labour
for the building work. Thanks to this support, we have no doubt that this
school will contribute significantly to building better lives for all in
Mitchell's Plain. "In our efforts to provide a learning home for all, we
have earlier launched extensive campaigns to remind parents to enroll
their children for school next year, and have had Open Days at selected
venues for parents to get advice on enrolment.

"Similarly, we are inviting parents and guardians who would like their
children to attend Mitchell's Heights to apply for admission as early as
possible, before 25 November 2005."

For enquiries, contact Gert Witbooi: 082 550 3938, or
gwitbooi at pgwc.gov.za.

Gert Witbooi
Media Secretary
Office of the MEC for Education