Proposed charter schools include all-boys Latin prep

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 18 16:16:57 UTC 2005

It's interesting to look at the curriculum in Boston Latin School, at
least at first, and certainly still in 1712:
http://bls.org/cfml/l3tmpl_history.cfm

	"THE CURRICULUM OF THE BOSTON LATIN GRAMMAR SCHOOL (1712)

In 1712 Nathaniel Williams, master of the Boston Latin Grammar School,
sent to Nehemiah Hobart, a Senior Fellow at Harvard, the following letter,
in which he describes the curriculum pursued by the students at the Boston
Latin Grammar School as they prepared for admission to Harvard College:

1 1.2.3. The first three years are spent first in Learning by heart & then
acc:[ording] to their capacities understanding the Accidence and
Nomenclator, in construing & parsing acc:[ording) to the English rules of
Syntax, Sententiae Pueriles, Cato & Corderius & Aesops Fables.2

4. The 4th year, or sooner if their capacities allow it, they are entered
upon Erasmus to which they are allou'd no English, but are taught to
translate it by the help of the Dictionary and Accidence, which English
translation of theirs is written down fair by each of them, after the
reciting of the lesson, and then brought to the Master for his observation
and the correction both as to the Translatio & orthography: This when
corrected is carefully reserved till fryday, and then render'd into Latin
of the Author exactly instead of the old way of Repitition, and in the
afternoon of that day it is (a part of it) varied for them as to mood
tense case number &c and given them to translate into Latin, still keeping
to the words of the Author. An example of which you have in the paper
marked on the backside A [not available]. These continue to read AEsops
Fables with ye English translation, the better to help them in the
aforesaid translating. They are also now initiated in the Latin grammar,
and begin to give the Latin rules in Propr: As in pres: [Propria: As in
praesenti] & Syntax in their parsing; and at the latter end of the year
enter upon Ovid de Tristibus (which is recited by heart on the usual time
fryday afternoon) & upon translating English into Latin, out of mr
Garretson's exercises.3

http://www.constitution.org/primarysources/grammar.html

This is probably no longer the curriculum today, but still--rote learning!
Will this lead to higher SAT scores?

HS