Make the effort to remove the blinkers

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:40:33 UTC 2005

>>From IC Wales, Western Mail

Make the effort to remove the blinkers Oct 25 2005

TUESDAY ESSAY

There has already been a lot of debate about new plans for the Welsh
language. Here Alun Pugh, the Minister for Culture, the Welsh Language and
Sport, sets out his thinking BLINKERS. They serve a purpose in horse
racing. In politics, they are utterly dangerous.

For that reason, I was delighted that the first Fforwm Iaith in Porthmadog
last week provided an opportunity to discuss practical ways of encouraging
the use of Welsh in our communities, rather than providing an opportunity
for disruptive protests and political opportunism from people who can't
recognise progress and who are in danger of alienating the 80% of people
in this country who have not been fortunate enough to have the opportunity
to learn both our national languages. Not to realise that the future of
the language depends partly on the support of the wider population shows
restricted vision.

I would like the debate to continue in the same way. In an ideal world,
everyone in Wales would be able to live their lives through both the
languages of Wales as they choose. That is the ultimate aim of the Welsh
Assembly Government and that is why I have allocated extra funds to the
Welsh language. Between 2003 and 2006, we will have invested 28m towards
achieving our goal of a bilingual Wales. We are making solid progress, but
we recognise there is still a long way to go to reach that ideal.

I am concerned about calls for new legislation focusing on the rights of
people who speak Welsh. Protesters who want to see a litigious future for
language policy, where people sue for compensation from businesses,
colleges or organisations if their services are not available in two
languages, are in danger of damaging the positive perception of Welsh we
have all helped to foster. Hir ei dafod, byr ei wybod.

I can't agree that this is the most effective way forward, and neither do
I believe there is widespread support for it. Of course I want people to
have services in Welsh - that's the whole point of the Welsh Language Act.
The most effect- ive way of championing the language is to concentrate on
measures to promote Welsh to everyone in Wales.

A truly bilingual Wales will only be achieved on a basis of consensus,
through goodwill and co-operation. I want everyone in Wales to feel proud
of the Welsh language and the part it plays in our culture and our sense
of national identity, whether they choose to learn and speak the language
or not. Iaith pawb ydy hi. As a Government, we are committed to developing
bilingualism. Much of the record investment by this Government is
channelled via the Welsh Language Board, whose staff have given a
tremendous boost to the language over 10 years.

Supporting the language at the level of national policy and public
investment, however, is my responsibility. For that reason, we need
democratic accountability and a strong link between public policy and
taxpayer spend. This is why the board staff will be merged with the Welsh
Language Unit staff in my Culture Department. All political parties accept
the need to democratise the quangos, but now Plaid Cymru's latest traed
moch has laid bare their inconsistency - saying that the Government should
be "kept at arm's length from the formulation and implementation of Welsh
language poli- cies". Their friends in opposition should reflect on their
ultimate aim, their stated support for rights-based legislation forced on
the private sector.

We have more children in Welsh-medium education than ever before. Interest
in the language is high - 20,000 adults registered on our subsidised
courses to learn Welsh last year. Sales of Welsh language books have leapt
by 16%. This kind of widespread support cannot be forced through
legislation. With regard to the private sector, I am convinced that far
more can be achieved through actively promoting a voluntary approach to
bilingualism.  Successful businesses know that the customer is always
right. If people tell them they want services in Welsh, then they will
work to provide them.

Major companies such as Tesco and Ikea are already happy to work with us
on extending their bilingual provision without the stick of legislation.
Last year Microsoft introduced a Welsh language version of Office 2003 and
Windows XP. I have had positive discussions with Arriva trains. Now
announcements are in both languages, signage and timetables are bilingual
and further progress is on the way. I am confident that we are on the road
to a truly bilingual Wales, but achieving that vision depends on everyone
involved working together. We have to balance the desires of some Welsh
speakers with maintaining the support of the majority in Wales who,
through lack of opportunity, do not speak Welsh. It will take time,
sensitivity and patience, but the prize of a bilingual Wales is an effort
well worth making. Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/newspolitics/tm_objectid=16290389&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=make-the-effort-to-remove-the-blinkers-name_page.html