Conference announcement

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:17:40 UTC 2005

Forwarded from Linguist-List:

Full Title: Language Contact in Times of Globalization
Short Title: LCTG

Date: 28-Sep-2006 - 30-Sep-2005
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Contact Person: Muriel Norde
Meeting Email: lctgrug.nl
Web Site: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~dejonge/invest/lctg/

Call Deadline: 01-Feb-2006

Meeting Description:

First International Conference on Language Contact in Times of
Globalization University of Groningen, September 28-30, 2006

CALL FOR PAPERS

The past decade has witnessed a growing interest in the study of
linguistic effects of language contact. Due to rapid globalization and
increased migration, people are ever more exposed to other languages, both
related and unrelated. The aim of the Groningen conference is to explore
the linguistic effects of globalization and migration in societies all
over the world. We particularly invite papers adressing the conference
theme, but in order to put these issues in a broader historical and
theoretical perspective, we also welcome papers on other current issues in
the study of language contact and language change.  Plenary speakers will
be Prof.dr. Pieter Muysken (Radboud University Nijmegen), Dr. Ricardo
Otheguy (City University of New York)and Prof.dr. Kurt Braunmller,
(Universitt Hamburg).

Registration

For preliminary registration, send an e-mail message to lctglet.rug.nl. If
you wish to present a paper, please provide us with a provisional title.
Once you have registered, you will receive the first circular containing
information on conference themes, plenary speakers, submission of
abstracts, travel to Groningen and accommodation. For more information you
may also visit our website: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~dejonge/invest/lctg/

Conference registration is 100 Euro until May 1, 2006. Late or on-site
registration will be 120 Euro. Early registration for students is 50 euro,
late registration 60 euro. Please bring some kind of identification to
prove that you are a student.

Abstracts

Scholars are invited to submit abstracts for 40-minute papers (including
10 minute discussion time). Deadline for abstracts is February 1, 2006.
Notification of acceptance will be sent out by March 1. If you require
earlier notification, let us know, and we will send you our reply at an
earlier date (though not before January 1, 2006).

Organizing committee

Cornelius Hasselblatt, Bob de Jonge & Muriel Norde, University of
Groningen

Conference address

Organizers of Language contact in times of globalization
Scandinavian Languages and Cultures
University of Groningen
P.O. Box 716
9700 AS Groningen