From MalaysiaKini: Think nationally for national unity

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 11 13:02:46 UTC 2006

Think nationally for national unity

Neil Khor
Apr 10, 06 4:21pm

Recently, the issue of ethnicity and the national language stirred a
hornet's nest here in this forum. There have also been many dissatisfied
voices over the 9th Malaysia Plan or more accurately, fears that it cannot
be implemented judiciously. The dilemma surrounding the setting up the
Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) has also
rattled very many. I think all these issues are related to the present
government's efforts to bring about a paradigm shift in a Malaysian
society so used to the status quo of ethnic division, corruption and ever
lowering standards in all realms of public life.

SK Wong hit the nail on the head when he/she pointed out that the national
language is not a panacea for disunity in the country. People do not
associate because we live side by side in watertight isolation. How are we
expected to use the national language effectively if our lives do not
intersect? As such, ethnic stereotypes flourish. The Malaysian
government's decision to broaden our mindsets through the encouragement of
ICT and its main communicative tool - the English language - has sparked
fear among certain Malaysians. Saad Hashim's letter reflects this concern
but it would be good if Saad and his like- minded compatriots be less
intellectually-lazy.

The government has decided to take the harder course in encouraging the
usage of English whilst promoting traditional art forms under the larger
rubric of heritage conservation. The government realises that if more
people were to speak in the national language, it cannot be through an
imposition of laws. We actually have to be friendlier to each other and
make it, as Wong has said, part of our daily consciousness. At the root,
great dissatisfaction is in the implementation. Many Malaysians of all
races have voiced the need for checks and balances. The need for the IPCMC
is part of the mechanism needed for the better implementation of
government policies. If the public had recourse to proper law enforcement,
corruption would become less a natural pastime.  Some form of transparent
and merit-based allocation system of public funds is also necessary if the
9MP is to be effective in achieving Vision 2020.

Now, people like Wong and Dr Jacob George have made it very clear that to
achieve national unity we have to think nationally. This means thinking
outside our ethnic straight-jackets. The case of policewomen wearing the
tudung for uniformity is a good illustration of a misguided policy. What
was more galling was some of our politicians not realising that a
policewoman is not merely a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Christian. She is a
public personality whose existence is based on public funds hence how she
presents herself should be based on public needs. We really have to see
the larger picture lest we miss the woods for the trees.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/49564