Languages mean Business

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 17 14:35:23 UTC 2006

 Posted on Sun, Apr. 16, 2006

Languages mean business
Nationwide and in Charlotte, workers' interest in, and reasons for,
learning foreign languages increasing

LEIGH DYER
Ldyer at charlotteobserver.com

As business grows more global, the number of workers who need to learn a
new language for their jobs is on the rise. In the Charlotte area, which
has the largest cluster of German-owned firms in the U.S. as well as one
of the fastest-growing Latino communities in the nation, German and
Spanish are the most in-demand languages, local experts say. But there's
growing interest in others ranging from Russian to French to Farsi. It
isn't always employees who sign up on their own. "I'm starting to see a
large group of employers who see a need for their employees to
communicate, especially with the Hispanic culture," said Colleen
Blanchard, who directs the Charlotte office of language-teaching firm
Inlingua.

Since 2004, the firm has seen an increase of more than 30 percent in local
enrollment, much of it in classes organized by local companies, she said.
Specialty classes aimed at groups including Realtors and health-care
workers are cropping up at local community colleges and private language
teaching services. Reasons for learning a language vary -- sometimes it's
a job requirement;  sometimes it's to prepare for a business trip or
fellowship; and sometimes it's simply a way to win brownie points with
executives visiting from overseas. Audrey Harvey of Charlotte, who does
accounting for German-owned firm VS America Inc., a seller of high-end
school furniture, signed up to take 50 tutoring sessions of 45 minutes
apiece from Inlingua for $2,100, a bill her employer is footing.

"When you work with people who all speak the same language, they all want
to revert to their home language, and I can understand them now," she
said. "You feel like you're more a part of things." Language enrollment
grows every semester at Central Piedmont Community College, said Edith
Valladares McElroy, who directs foreign language and academic English as a
Second Language programs there. Many professionals choose continuing
education classes, which don't offer academic credit but are less
expensive and are usually taught at night. For-credit classes are more
labor-intensive. "It depends on what your goals are -- what do you want to
do with this?" she said.

If students are simply looking to develop basic conversation, then a
continuing education class is sufficient, she added. Steve Espeland, a
computer systems analyst for Clariant Corp. in Charlotte, is taking a
German class at CPCC that his employer will reimburse him for. He wanted
to be able to converse with European visitors to the company, which is
based in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.  He also wanted to
understand computer applications written in German. He considered using
language CDs but decided the class would require him to be more
disciplined.

"Besides, with the CDs you just get the spoken language," he said. "In
class, you learn to read, write and spell correctly -- and you are
immersed in the culture."

Language Options

Institution Cost Notes More information
Berlitz International From a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. More
than 50 languages offered; programs are customized according to needs
(Berlitz and Inlingua are competitors). (704) 554 8169; www.berlitz.us
Retail bookstores From roughly $5 to $200. Can buy anything from a basic
workbook to extensive CD sets -- or try the Public Library for free
versions. www.amazon .com www.bn.com (Barnes & Noble) www.plcmc.org
(Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County) or (704) 336-2725.
CPCC Most continuing education classes cost about $60 plus textbook fees
that can be upward of $100; regular credit classes cost $39.50 per credit,
plus a $28 lab fee, and other book and student fees. Also offers online
language classes. Regular credit classes are more time intensive, usually
requiring three hours of weekly class time plus two hours of lab work per
week. www.cpcc.edu or (704) 330-2722. (CPCC)
Inlingua From a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. More than 50
languages offered; programs are customized, from group settings to
individual tutoring. (704) 553-8836; (704) 553-9658 www.inlingua se.com
International House Free Offers conversation hours in various languages
for people who want to practice; makes referrals to Inlingua for those who
need additional training. www.ihclt.org (704) 333-8099
Queens University of Charlotte $139 Through its continuing education
program, Queens is teaching evening Italian and French classes beginning
later this month. www.queens. edu/ continuing/ interests/ languages.asp
UNC Charlotte Charges depend on credit hours; most range from $480 to
$640, plus fees. Taking regular courses requires enrolling as an
undergraduate. www.uncc.edu or (704) 687-3487

How I Learned German ... Well, Sort Of

MoneyWise occasionally comparison shops to find out where the best
products, services and deals are in the Charlotte region. When it came
time to learn a new language, I wasn't able to try every service in
Charlotte, but I did research all the options discussed here.

Last year I won an Arthur F. Burns Fellowship to live and work in Germany
for two months -- despite being unable to speak a word of German. I found
out I won the fellowship on April 5 and the departure date was July 25. I
received a $500 stipend to cover language study, so my task was to find
the most efficient way to learn the language in that time.

A friend recommended Berlitz as the most intense method (I didn't learn
about its competitor Inlingua until later), but its price was mostly
outside my range -- a local coordinator recommended I sign up for an
online class. I checked class schedules at CPCC, UNC Charlotte,
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, Queens, Pfeiffer, Winthrop and Wingate.
For convenience and a bargain price, CPCC won. I enrolled in a continuing
education German class on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m.
The class cost about $55 and the textbook was about $35. I used the
leftover stipend money to buy study guides and language CDs from a
bookstore.

The class was helpful in learning pronunciation and a few key phrases, but
I did not become fluent. I started the CDs before I left and brought most
of them with me in hopes I would continue studying, but found I was not
disciplined enough to keep using them. Fortunately, where I was based in
Frankfurt, nearly everyone I met spoke English. They appreciated my
efforts to speak a few introductory phrases, and I became able to navigate
restaurant menus and the purchasing of train tickets in German. But if
fluency had been a strict requirement of the fellowship, I would have been
better off using some personal funds to spring for the intensive study
offered by Berlitz or Inlingua.

UNCC Language Study

Language enrollment at UNC Charlotte:

1999-2000: 4,812