Thumbs up for sign language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 20 23:06:23 UTC 2006

Ashburton Guardian

Friday, 21 April 2006

http://www.ashburtonguardian.co.nz/index.asp?articleid=7087

Thumbs up for sign language

The applause would have been loud if Ashburton students learning sign language
had showed their appreciation in the usual manner.

Instead, the group welcomed the adoption of sign language as an official
language in New Zealand using their new skills – circular hand movements in
the air convey the same message.

About 30 students, past and present, of the Ashburton Community Learning
Centre’s sign language course celebrated the milestone this week, after
Parliament passed a bill recognising it as a unique New Zealand language and
giving it status equal to that of spoken languages.

Sign languages differ from country to country, just as spoken languages do;
they use a mixture of hand movements, facial expression, space and direction
and have their own rules for grammar and syntax.

Sign language in New Zealand was used as early as the mid-1800s, with a school
teaching it first opening in 1880.

More centres began teaching it after the rubella epidemic in 1940, with
deafness a possible consequence of the disease.

Community learning centre co-ordinator Dianne Moss said the special night
class this week was a celebratory affair, with a cake cut to mark the occasion.
She said students included those with hearing impairments or those with family
members or workmates who could not hear.

About 95 per cent of deaf children are born into hearing families with little
or no knowledge of sign language.

Mrs Moss said the class was quiet, because of the nature of language, but
there was always plenty of laughter.

“I feel like an intruder when I do into the class because I can’t communicate
and it gives me a feeling of how it must be for them when they can’t join in
the conversation.”

The centre’s sign language class has concluded for this term, but will start
again with a more advance module on May 11.