Al Jazeera may air on Echostar

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 23 21:57:17 UTC 2006

Al Jazeera may air:EchoStar talks with controversial Arab channel about
carrying English spinoff

By Joyzelle Davis, Rocky Mountain News
April 22, 2006

EchoStar's Dish Network is the only cable or satellite operator in the
U.S. publicly willing to consider carrying controversial Arab news channel
Al Jazeera's planned English-language spinoff.  Even on Dish, Al Jazeera's
attempt to provide an alternative to Western news outlets like BBC World
and CNN International isn't likely to appear on any of the satellite-TV
operator's popular programming tiers. "We have several offers and options
under consideration, including with EchoStar, but have not yet signed
anything," said Rana Jazayerli, a Washington-based spokeswoman for the
news channel. "We will make our plans public after we have finalized."

Comcast, which has 700,000 subscribers in Colorado, has had "preliminary
conversations" about carrying the network, said spokeswoman Cindy Parsons.
She declined further comment, citing the cable operator's policy of not
discussing programming negotiations. DirecTV, the largest satellite-TV
operator with 15 million customers, also has talked to Al Jazeera
International but "doesn't have any plans to carry it right now," said
Jade Ekstedt, spokeswoman for the El Segundo, Calif.-based company.
Douglas County-based EchoStar, whose Dish Network has 12 million
subscribers, is interested because a nascent news channel fits with the
company's strategy of offering the most international programming, with
126 channels in 28 languages available.

"We would be willing to consider carriage, since we provide the most
Arabic channels in the United States," said spokeswoman Kathie Gonzalez.
"But we don't release details or status of negotiations with any new
channels." Dish carries 15 Arabic channels through its three tiers of
Arabic programming. Those packages, which range from $26 to $40 a month,
are sold separately from basic programming. Dish has carried the
Arabic-language Al Jazeera news channel since 1999.  Dish doesn't release
subscriber figures for various packages, Gonzalez said, and declined to
say whether it has received any complaints.

Just where Al Jazeera International would fit in Dish Network's
programming lineup is reportedly a matter of dispute. Lindsay Oliver, the
network's commercial director, told Broadcasting & Cable that Dish has
only offered the network carriage on an Arabic tier, and Al Jazeera
International wants wider distribution. Both Dish's Gonzalez and Al
Jazeera International's Jazayerli declined to comment. Al Jazeera gained
the attention - and sometimes the ire - of America following the Sept. 11,
2001, terrorist attacks. The Qatar-based network is often the first
recipient of Osama bin Laden's videotaped tirades, and Defense Secretary
Donald Rumsfeld has accused it of promoting terrorism and spreading
"vicious lies." The international spinoff will reportedly be more
mainstream, avoiding tapes showing hostages.

The nearly 10-year-old network has also won praise for offering dissenting
views, prompting Middle Eastern governments to complain about the
independence of its reporting. Even without Al Jazeera's reputation as a
political lightning rod, analysts say it's nearly impossible for any new
network not owned by a cable operator to get carriage these days. Cable
companies are wary of paying fees for yet another channel when they
already offer hundreds of others. "While Al Jazeera International might
have politics wrapped around it, they might as well be Al Bruce" in terms
of its likelihood of getting distribution, said Bruce Leichtman, president
of media analysis firm Leichtman Research Group. "You can take any one of
the handful of new channels, and they're all in the same position."

Even without U.S. distribution, Al Jazeera International expects to have
about 40 million viewers worldwide. It's already secured a spot on BSkyB,
a British satellite system partially owned by Rupert Murdoch as well as
with distributors in India, Australia and France. Experts don't expect Al
Jazeera International to draw a mass audience in a TV universe that
already has three broadcast networks and three 24-hour news networks. "The
competition for eyeballs is enormous," said Richard Wald, the Fred
Friendly Professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism.
Al Jazeera International faces the additional tricky problem that what
makes Arabic Al Jazeera unique - it provides a window into the Arab view
of the U.S. and international news events - might be lost when the news is
produced and delivered largely by Western journalists, Wald said.

The network's high-profile recent hires include BBC interviewer Sir David
Frost and former ABC News Nightline correspondent David Marash. The
network is run by Nigel Parsons, formerly of the BBC and The Associated
Press. Al Jazeera International will still be based in Qatar and share
some reporting resources with its Arabic counterpart. It plans changes to
accommodate cultural tastes, such as refraining from showing footage of
dead or dying people as does the Arab-language network. Clifford May,
president of the advocacy group Foundation for the Defense of Democracies,
is skeptical of Al Jazeera's assertions that its English-based network
will feature objective reporting.

"Al Jazeera's main purpose is not to deliver the news," May said. Much of
the programming on the Arab-language channel reflects "a militant Islamist
ideology," he said, and "I would certainly urge anyone considering
carriage to keep a careful eye on its content." Al Jazeera International
plans to launch sometime this year after it completes construction of its
new headquarters in Qatar as well as four broadcast centers worldwide. The
network is also testing new technology that will allow broadcasts in high
definition. "There is too much at stake, and we owe too much to our
viewers to launch on an arbitrary deadline," Jazayerli said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_business/article/0,2777,DRMN_23916_4641999,00.html