Malaysia: Two challenges for higher education review

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 29 13:29:14 UTC 2006

Two challenges for higher education review

Neil Khor
Apr 28, 06 4:01pm

Professor P Ramasamy has said what we all already know about our public
universities and the unequal opportunities for non-bumiputeras. I am just
wondering aloud whether after 35 years of the NEP and especially, after
the 'kampong-isation' of the public universities - where narrow-
mindedness has become a norm - can these same institutions be centres of
meritocracy and open -mindedness? Whilst we embarked on our great leap
forward through social engineering, the world has moved on. The national
language policy now looks like a historical mistake with English being the
global language. We hardly speak it except at official functions.

When the movie industry tries to portray the reality of Malaysians using
the national language, they are reprimanded. Unlike in P Ramlee's time,
today, movies are not a reflection of social reality but rather a
projection of what should be - an idealised Malaysia where the races use
the national language properly and live in separate ethnic enclaves. The
other challenge faced by Malaysia today has to do with religion. In a
world that is increasingly superstitious - note the proliferation of
worship as well as ghost-seekers - we are caught in a bind. There are very
many who still cling to the idea that Malaysia should be a theocratic
state or at least inspired by divinely-ordained laws.

This gives them a sense of exclusivity and by extension, superiority. To
allow someone of a different ethnicity to hold public office is
unacceptable but to allow someone of a different religion in
decision-making positions would be a sin. Now, many secular-minded
individuals would say that I am really exaggerating the situation. But I
think it is high time they take off those rose-tinted glasses and look
around. Race and religion are not going away. They are divisive forces
that are here to stay. It afflicts the best of us and does not
discriminate. The government is on the right track. By suggesting that
higher education needs to be restructured, the government is acknowledging
these challenges. But let is also be known that higher education today
also involves the very many private universities and colleges.

They too will have to be looked at. Intellectuals in these institutions
are treated no better for while there is academic freedom, they have no
time to think outside the classroom and sabbaticals for research is
unheard of. So, let us be fair in this review. If bumiputeras are to
change their worldview, so should the non-bumis. It takes two hands to
clap.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/50381