Creole a vibrant language

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Sat Apr 29 15:02:45 UTC 2006

At 9:30 AM -0400 4/29/06, Harold F. Schiffman wrote:

>Haitian Creole is a strong and vibrant language. It is no more a
>degraded version of French than French is a degraded version of
>Latin.
>
>LYNN BERK, professor emeritus of linguistics, Florida International
>University, Miami

I like that analogy. And I think I'm correct that varieties of
French-lexicon Creole constitute the 2nd most widely spoken first
language in the West Indies, after only Spanish.

Ron
(About to head to Carriacou, Grenada, to continue documenting the
unfortunately less-than-vibrant French Creole spoken there by a
dwindling number of elderly folks.)

--
Ronald Kephart
Associate Professor