Army Discharges Arabic-Speaking Soldier for Being Gay

Sonja Hokanson sonja.hokanson at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Aug 8 01:10:54 UTC 2006

ABC News has left out important parts of this story, presenting only Copas'
(very edited) half-information, half-invention, and not checking validity with
the Staff Judge Advocate's office, or anyone else.

If this listserv is going to continue to be of interest to language
researchers and linguists, then it should report only research which has been
checked for accuracy, which means not publishing what ABC News provides
until/UNLESS verified. Distributing hearsay and opinionated, one-sided
political ranting does nobody a service, and particularly not the supposed
"victim", reinforcing as it does victimhood rather than the taking of
responsibility for the genuine acts of one's life.

A concerned researcher,
Sonja G. Hokanson, Ph.D.