Army Discharges Arabic-Speaking Soldier for Being Gay

Petrovic, John jpetrovi at bamaed.ua.edu
Tue Aug 8 19:02:00 UTC 2006

Enough already???? With all due respect, I suggest you broaden your
notion of language and language policy issues.

The ways that we language constructs identities, provides us ways (or
not) to think about issues, and serves as a primary tool by which to
police behaviors and "other" groups of people as "abnormal", IS a
language issue!! Indeed, it goes to the very heart of the
post-structural projects of say, Michel Foucault. The fact that Foucault
was very much influenced by Sausurrean linguistics should not escape us
either.

Thanks.
John Petrovic, PhD
The University of Alabama