Bovine Dialectology

humphrey tonkin tonkin at hartford.edu
Thu Aug 24 22:58:19 UTC 2006

Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the farmers imitate the cows, rather
than the other way round?   I assume that everyone is aware of the brilliant
work of the late Luis Baptista on dialects in birdsong.  The distinction
between genetically determined and learned behavior in animal calls that
Janine Traffers-Daller refers to in her splendid interview may be less clear
than she assumes.  On birdsong, google Luis Baptista to learn more, or see
Donald Kroodsma, The Singing Life of Birds (2005) or Peter R. Marler & Hans
Slabbekoorn, The Science of Birdsong (2004).  But all of this has precious
little to do with language policy....

Humphrey Tonkin