Texas: state's official government portal named best e-government site in US

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 30 12:57:31 UTC 2006

 Houston Business Journal - August 29, 2006
http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2006/08/28/daily13.html

TexasOnline.com, the state's official government portal, has been named
the best e-government site in the United States, according to a study by
the Taubman Center for Public Policy at Brown University.

Researchers there evaluated the sites of all 50 states. They also analyzed
1,503 additional sites for various electronic features, including online
publications, language translation, disability access, privacy policies,
security and the number of online services. This is the seventh year the
Taubman Center for Public Policy has conducted the survey. Last year,
Texas' Web site ranked 18th in the country.

"It has been a productive year for TexasOnline.com," says Larry Olson,
chief technology officer for the State of Texas. "We have worked hard to
ensure that the services (offered) to Texans are the best in the country
and the recognition of our work is always appreciated." TexasOnline.com
serves as a gateway to more than 500 services offered online, including
online sales-tax payment for businesses, vehicle registration renewals and
a searchable license records database.

TexasOnline.com also has audio and video clips on the majority of its Web
sites and a Spanish version of nearly every page, the study noted.
"Overall, Texas has made a strong effort to deliver convenient access to a
vast number of online services, thus topping our rankings," study author
Darrell West says.

The Texas Department of Information Resources operates the site through a
venture with McLean, Va.-based information technology firm BearingPoint
Inc. (NYSE: BE).

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2006/08/28/daily13.html