New Gibson movie in Mayan, with subtitles

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 19:40:49 UTC 2006

>>From the NYTimes, Arts Briefly, 12/08/2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/arts/08arts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Gibson Movie Draws Protests in Guatemala

Some Guatemalans are voicing anger at Mel Gibson's new movie, "Apocalypto,"
Reuters reported. In an echo of the protests that greeted Mr. Gibson's
bloody "Passion of the Christ," native activists in Guatemala, which was
once home to a large part of the Maya empire depicted in "Apocalypto," say
the film is racist. Their leaders say scenes of scary-looking Mayas with
bone piercings and scarred faces hurling spears and sacrificing humans
promote stereotypes about their culture. Mr. Gibson's representative was not
immediately available for comment. Only trailers for the film have been
shown in Guatemala, but Ignacio Ochoa, director of the Nahual Foundation,
which promotes Maya culture, said, "Gibson replays, in glorious big-budget
Technicolor, an offensive and racist notion that Maya people were brutal to
one another long before the arrival of Europeans and thus they deserved, in
fact needed, rescue."

HS