Kannada made compulsory in Karnataka, and Marathi in Maharashtra

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 15 13:51:07 UTC 2006

Kannada compulsory

ibnlive.com
Posted Thursday , December 14, 2006 at 18:00

NO CHOICE LEFT: Earlier, the students could either study Kannada or opt
for alternative English.

New Delhi: The Karnataka government on Thursday decided to make Kannada a
compulsory subject from the next academic year. The decision will be
applicable for all students under the CBSE and ICSE syllabus in the state.
This provision would be withdrawn from the coming academic year, Primary
and Secondary Education Minister Basavaraj Horatti said. Earlier, the
students could either study Kannada or opt for English as an alternative.
Now the choice of opting for English has been taken away from the students
as a 1994 government order makes it compulsory for all
government-recognised schools to use only Kannada as the medium of
instruction till fifth standard.

The state government had in September announced the de-recognition of over
2000 schools for violating the language policy. The shutting of schools
was to take effect from the end of the current academic year. In wake of
the announcement of the shutdown, parents are questioning the government's
actions and want to know what the government was doing for the last 12
years. Questions are also being asked about the discriminatory language
policy, which allows schools permitted before 1994 to have English-medium
education.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/kannada-made-compulsary-in-schools/28495-3.html

See also:

Marathi a must in Maharashtra schools

Posted Thursday , December 14, 2006 at 19:56

Mumbai: Karnataka started it and now Maharashtra is following it. The
state government on Thursday made Marathi a compulsory subject in all
schools in the state including the ones affiliated to ICSE and CBSE. The
rule will come into effect in the academic year 2007-2008 and Marathi will
be taught from Class I to Class X. All MLAs feel Marathi must be made
compulsory in CBSE & ICSE schools. Once the state govt objection letter,
we'll ask all schools to make it gives a no objection letter, we'll ask
all schools to make it 1 mandatory. We'll send letters to 170 such
schools, Maharashtra Education Minister, Hassan Mushrif.

Marathi was already a compulsory subject in schools under the State Board.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/marathi-a-must-in-maharashtra-schools/28502-3.html