threshold of a linguistic 'slippery slope', aka Linguistic Tip - Summary of Results

Nicholas Ostler nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 15:43:54 UTC 2006

At the end of November last, I wrote:
> It is sometimes claimed that there is a critical minimum proportion of
> speakers of a given language in a multilingual community for that
> language to continue in everyday use. Such a claim makes sense in a
> context where there is a background metropolitan language (typically
> English, but it could as easily be Portuguese, Russian, Spanish or
> Chinese) that is under no threat, and spoken by numbers approaching
> 100% . The other, less widely spoken, language can only survive in
> stable bilingualism with this background language if there is a fair
> presumption, within a given community, that enough listeners are there
> to understand it.
>
> The idea, then, is that there is a kind of tipping point, or a
> threshold of the slippery slope, perhaps as high as 70%; if the
> lesser-speaking community dips below this proportion, it will tend to
> diminish further, until (without active policy measures) it might die
> out altogether. But above this proportion, its numbers can vary up and
> down with no long-term effect or trend visible.
>
> Is there a percentage figure one could give, and if so is there any
> research that bears directly on this point?
Here are the answers to my question, as offered by FEL-listers and
lgpolicy-listers.

A. In general, there was scepticism from linguists as to any percentage
boundary.

P-J Ezeh wrote:
> ...If my own experience among the Orring of southeastern
> Nigeria (language: Korring) is anything to go by, I
> will say that the only factors that may lead to
> glotticide are economic and political, especially the
> later. There are recent examples locally here and
> farther afield, for example under the erstwhile Soviet
> Union, where minority laguages were threatened
> directly by political policies. In the Nigerian case
> there wasn't a direct political threat but the
> minority speakers reached a point where they began to
> see their distinct linguistic identity as a liability
> in the new political order that destroyed their
> original social structure and merged them with a
> numerically superior people with a different language.
>
> This has been the subject of at least two conference
> papers that I have had the honour to give, the last
> being at that of the last Pan-African Anthropoloigal
> Association in Yaounde. Perhaps what is even more
> interesting is that, contra the popular assumptions,
> the threat comes from not the culture of an external
> world political power but a local rival group who for
> a complex configuration arising from British
> colonization has assummed some advantageous position.

B. Sympathy for the  idea, such as it was came from those campaigning
for small languages, usually in a European context.

Hassan Ouzzate wrote:
> From my experience of language situation in Agadir, your figure does not
> seem at all unrealistic. I would tend to confirm your description.

C. And there was some suggestion for refinement:

Emily McEwan-Fujita wrote:
> Dear Nicholas,
>
> ... the phrase 'linguistic tip' was coined by Nancy Dorian in her 1981
> book _Language Death: The Life Cycle of a Scottish Gaelic Dialect_: "In
> terms of possible routes toward language death it would seem that a
> language which has been demographically highly stable for several
> centuries may experience a sudden 'tip' after which the demographic tide
> flows strongly in favor of some other language." (p. 51)
>
> There _is_ a slightly different kind of claim floating around that is
> based not on percentages, but on actual numbers of speakers. This claim,
> frequently repeated by linguists and the media, is that a language needs
> 100,000 speakers to survive. This claim originated as a series of cautious
> speculations on the part of the linguist Michael Krauss, and is not a
> scientific theory. I trace the origin and transformation of this claim,
> and its application to Scottish Gaelic by British journalists, in my
> article titled "'Gaelic Doomed as Speakers Die Out'? The Public Discouse
> of Gaelic Language Death in Scotland." It is forthcoming next year in
> _Leasachadh na Gaidhlig: Revitalising Gaelic in Contemporary Scotland_,
> Wilson McLeod, ed., Dunedin Academic Press (Edinburgh). I'd be happy to
> send you a copy via e-mail.
>
> Based on my analysis of this "100,000 speakers" claim, I would tend to
> take with a grain of salt any claims of an actual percentage of speakers
> within a community needed to maintain a language as a means of everyday
> use. Not least because journalists' favorite way to use the 100,000
> speakers claim in Scotland is as "scientific proof" of the supposedly
> imminent (or even completed) death of Scottish Gaelic, and as an argument
> against public funding for Gaelic revitalization efforts.  The best suggestion I received for the origin of the 70% figure put it
> down to simple arithmetic:

D. Here is the one suggestion of where the 70% figure came from, putting

Wilson McLeod wrote:

> This is not entirely responsive to this query, but my understanding of
> the 70% threshold (as explained by Kenneth MacKinnon) is a logical
> one: that 70x70 =49. If only 70% or lower of a given community know
> Xish, then the chances of any two people in that community who are
> unfamiliar with each other will each know Xish is less than 50%. This
> means that it is more likely than not that they will simply use Yish.
>
> This is obviously very far from an iron-clad rule, let alone an
> observed trigger of language shift in real situations, but it does
> provide a logical explanation for choosing this specific 70% threshold.

E. One offered alternative, non-quantitative criteria:

Jane Simpson wrote:
> Peter Sutton has claimed long-term stability for very small communities in
> Cape York with limited contact with colonisers.  I speculate that, in the
> colonial language situation, it helps to have distributed communities -
> i.e. if you live in a small community but can frequently visit a
> neighbouring community and speak the same language, this is a confirmation
> of the usefulness of your language, and an incentive to keep speaking it.

E. There was one socio-caveat

Adrienne Redd wrote:
this term the "tipping point" is a concept well known to (at least
American) sociologists and is used with regard to (usually black-white)
racial mix. The idea is that blacks may be comfortable with up to 80%
whites but that whites may only be comfortable with up to 10% blacks and
after that point "white flight" takes place and whites may flee a given
neighborhood. This is a highly charged term and no longer used by
sociologists, so be aware of its other connotation.

F. And there does seem to be some bibliography on it
Angela Kluge wrote:
> Grimes, Joseph E.  1986.  Area norms of language size.  In:  Elson, Benjamin
> F. (ed.).  1986.  Language in global perspective:  Papers in honor of the
> 50th anniversary of Summer Institute of Linguistics 1935-1985.  Dallas, TX:
> Summer Institute of Linguistics, 5-19.

(Thanks to Angela, I now have a pdf of it, and could send it to you.)

Coulmas, ed. 1984: Linguistic minorities and literacy: Language policy issues in
developing countries. (esp. article by Srivastava, quote by Hartmut Haberland above. He
quoted the paper (and reproduced the Srivastava's diagram, which he says is the really
interesting thing) in his paper in:
A language policy for the European Community : prospects and quandaries / edited
by Florian Coulmas. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 1991. (Contributions to the
sociology of language: 61))

Williams' references on Ethnolinguistic Vitality and Group Identity
Aurolyn Luykx wrote:
> There was a panel on "tip" at the AAA last year, though I think it must have been in San Francisco, because I went to Atlanta and didn't see it. If you can get hold of the conference program or the book of abstracts, those would list who the presenters were.
Unfortunately, this seems to be beyond the event horizon of
http://www.aaanet.org/pubs/index.htm

Adrienne Redd wrote:

 Leisy Wyman, author  of (2004) Language Shift, Youth Culture, and
Ideology - a Yup'ik example (Unpublished dissertation) examined /just
this question/ in following two cohorts of Yup'ik Eskimo youths over
five (!) years while she lived and taught in a Yup'ik village in Alaska.
Leisy's email address is Leisy at aol.com <mailto:Leisy at aol.com>. I believe
she lives on the West Coast of the U.S., so she will be nine hours
earlier than you are.

Thanks to all of the 25 who responded. I have endeavoured to include all
the substantive points they made, but many more wrote saying how
interesting they found the issue. I hope they had the patience to read
this far.

Nicholas Ostler

--
Foundation for Endangered Languages
Registered Charity: England and Wales 1070616
+44-1225-852865  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
http://www.ogmios.org