New policy to affect Indian restaurants: Speak English!

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 15:54:29 UTC 2006

Only yesterday I saw a Slovakian serving out tandoori chicken. And
Venice is full of Chinese workers making the coffee (in Italy!). In
Leeds the South Asians took over the pizza some years ago. Leeds's
Malaysian restaurant is staffed by people of Pakistani origin.

And where are the staff going to come from to run the corner shops,
newsagents and curry houses? Every pharmacy in the UK that you go into
has a South Asian pharmacist. The London school of pharmacy is over 90%
non-white! And far too many of them are getting into medical schools.
And the Chinese -- at least two of my students have parents in the
traditional business of restaurants. It shouldn't be allowed. Let them
stay in their curry houses and restaurants They should follow their
traditions.

The rich man in his castle, the poor man at the gate. God made them high
and lowly and ordered their estate. The same with ethnic groups. The
Poles and Slovakians need to get themselves a traditional niche and the
Asians should go back to it.

Surely the original report was tongue in cheek too? I hope.

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk