Some considerations on [Indonesian] gov't language planning

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:39:28 UTC 2006

Re: Jakarta Post's description of Uriel Weinreich as 'German' & Joshua
Fishman's correction.

Two things to think about here:

1) The article, which described Weinreich wrongly as "A renowned German
linguist" was from The Jakarta Post. Journalists all over the world do
make slip ups and almost every article will include some errors of fact.
In this case the attribution of German nationality is unusually
prolematical, but this is not something to which a journalist in
Indonesia is likely to be particularly well attuned. It is clear from
the context that no offence was intended to Weinreich (on the contrary).
Similarly, it is common to see (and hear) texts from the non-Malay world
that describe Malaysia citizens of all races described as 'Malays'. I am
sure all of us make mistakes of this sort.

2) When we make a posting from a newspaper we are not endorsing it, and
my understanding is that we are not required (and perhaps not even
encouraged) to comment on it alongside the posting. Requiring this would
prevent us from seeing many of the articles that are posted (many by
Hal) which are often very provocative indeed. They open up debate, and
certainly Professor Fishman's correction does that, as is appropriate.
But I oppose the view that "The Lgpolicy -list should not permit errors
such as those that I am reacting to to appear without some corrective
footnote." I think this would inhibit posting and debate.

How do others feel?

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk