New Zealand: Wider Knowledge of Other Languages Vital

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 3 14:19:01 UTC 2006

Wider Knowledge of Other Languages Vital for NZ

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0607/S00010.htm

Monday, 3 July 2006, 12:25 pm
Press Release: Race Relations Commissioner

New Zealand needs to shake off its monolingual complacency and recognise
the value of language diversity for the nations social, economic and
cultural development, Race Relations Commissioner, Joris de Bres said
today. He was speaking at the opening of a national conference of language
teachers in Auckland on the theme of Bridging Cultures, Reaching Heights.
Mr de Bres said it was important that Maori, Pacific and other language
issues were being considered together at the conference for the first
time, because the fundamental challenge was to achieve a more positive
climate generally for multilingualism. This would lead to greater
investment in language learning across the board.

Teachers of Maori, Pacific, Asian and European languages are not in
competition with each other. They share common goals of promoting cultural
diversity, up-skilling the nation, resourcing tourism and trade, and
promoting intercultural understanding, said Mr de Bres. A report published
today from the Asia New Zealand Foundation, Preparing a Future with Asia,
also highlighted the urgent need for more people to learn Asian languages.
We may think we can get along at home and in the world with just English,
but if we want to have a competitive edge in the global environment we
need to grow our Maori and Pacific cultural heritage as our unique brand
and increase our knowledge of all the worlds major languages.

Mr de Bres welcomed the forthcoming introduction of a language learning
curriculum for Year 7-8 students, the imminent promotion of the new Maori
in the Mainstream curriculum in Maori Language Week, and government
support in this years budget for the Mind Your Language Programme for the
Niuean, Cook Island Maori and Tokelauan languages. He also noted that the
Office of Ethnic Affairs was working on a national languages policy. Mr de
Bres said Maori Language Week later this month was an opportunity to
promote the value of language learning in general and for bridging
cultures in New Zealand. The Maori Language Week promotions have also
focused on the fact that learning languages can be a lot of fun. This year
Maori Language Week is from 24-31 July, and focuses on Maori language in
sport.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0607/S00010.htm