Arizona: Mandarin in demand

Ann Kelleher amkelleher at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 10 20:48:50 UTC 2006

There is a glaring error of fact in this piece. My reply to the author:
______________________
Jeff,

Interesting confusion in your article -- near the end you state:

"For comparison, consider that British public schools now require
all students to study Mandarin."

Not sure where you picked this up, but Mandarin is only mandatory at a
few (perhaps as few as 2) exclusive private schools (yes, called "public"
in Britain), but I'm afraid you lead readers to believe that the British
government has a policy of Mandarin-for-all in its school systems, and
that certainly is not the case.

Ann Kelleher

> >From the ARIZONA DAILY STAR, Published: 07.09.2006
>
> Mandarin in demand at local schools
> By Jeff Commings
>
> Ni hao.  Don't know what that means? By this time next year, a few
> hundred
> Tucson students and hundreds of thousands more nationwide might, as
> Mandarin Chinese makes a major entrance into the nation's schools,
> including four in Tucson.  Quicker than you can say the above greeting
> "hello," in the language spoken by more than a billion people worldwide
> Mandarin Chinese has bumped some popular Romance languages off the cool
> kids' table in the lunchroom.  Three schools in Tucson Unified School
> District Palo Verde High Magnet School, University High School and
Rincon
> High School are prepping for their first year teaching the major Chinese
> language. And students in seventh through ninth grades at BASIS charter
> school in Tucson will learn the language. Also, the College Board just
> added Mandarin as one of its four new foreign-language Advanced
Placement