Asian youths cope with studies, and a model minority myth

Lane laneonline at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 19:03:13 UTC 2006

Last fall my colleague and I published a paper on a
rather more extreme, though not uncommon case of young
Asian Americans grappling with group identity issues.
The study focused on three first-generation teenage
girls who used features of AAVE (African American
Vernacular English) in their everyday speech. Their
academic performances ran the gamut from an
overachieving class president to a failing student. I
also presented this study at AERA 2005 in Montreal.

I'll be happy to send this article from The Journal of
Interdisciplinary Studies published at Cal Poly Pomona
to anyone interested.

Lane Igoudin, Ph.D.
ESL/Business English
Cypress College & Cal Poly Pomona