Interpreting the episode in the light of Linguistic Rights/Responsibilities

francisco gomers de matos fcgm at hotlink.com.br
Tue Mar 28 15:45:18 UTC 2006

 Dear Harold,

The  episode  you have commented on
illustrates one of the challenges facing two language users
sharing the same communicative setting  : how to
exercise one´s right to opt for a language for
public use  and how to exercise the duty to
honor one´s native language. What happened  provides
researchers in  Linguistic Rights, Sociolinguistics, Cross
Cultural Communication, Political Linguistics, Peace
Linguistics   with  a very interesting  case-study.
On the one hand, a French-using citizen  all of a sudden
opts for the right to  engage in code-switching and use
English; on the other hand, another French-using citizen
activates  the duty to honor  his(in this case) native
language  by leaving the  place where an official meeting
was taking place.
Linguistic rights and responsibilities  CAN indeed be the
subject  of  both  Harmony/Agreement  and Disharmony/
Disagreement.
Both  citizens  acted  in  the light of their  belief/value
systems  and, from a  Linguistic Rights Perspective,
my interpretation  is that  both had the right to act
as they did. One language user  exercised his right
to choose a language ;another language user
exercised his right to be loyal to his lingua-cultural
traditions. Differences like that  could help us
become aware of  our  communicative rights and responsibilities and ,instead
of passing judgment,
empathizing with each  human being involved .
I call "humanizers"  persons, imbued with the
principles,ideals,values of Human Rights,Justice,Peace,
Solidarity  and who apply  such virtues in daily life.
Hence, my  successive pleas for a Humanizing
Applied Linguistics, and more recently, for an
Applied Peace Linguistics.

Francisco Gomes de Matos,
Federal University of Pernambuco,an applied peace linguist
Recife,Brazil
and of our