Ireland: FG language policy slammed

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue May 23 12:22:57 UTC 2006

MONDAY 22/05/2006 14:56:46
FG language policy slammed

Supporters of the Irish language have criticised Enda Kenny by claiming
his policy on Gaelic will lead to it being undermined on a nationwide
basis. The Fine Gael leader says he will scrap Irish as a compulsory
subject for leaving cert if he wins the next general election. But Conradh
na Gaeilge says this makes little sense especially as Irish is due to
become an official European Union language next January. President of the
organisation Daithi Mac Carthaigh said the proposals would have hugely
negative reprecussions.

Comment 1: