Ukraine: Regions Party ready to table bill on language policy

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 10 13:25:51 UTC 2006

Regions Party ready to table in parliament bill on language policy this
year, Kushnariov says

Kyiv, November 9 (Interfax-Ukraine) - The Regions Party is ready to submit
a draft bill on languages in Ukraine to the parliament this year,
according [to] Regions Party MP Yevhen Kushnariov.

"We called this draft bill 'basic' because we think that it should
determine the policy of the state in the issue. All legislation relates
somehow or other to the issue. For example, [laws] on the media or on
education, or on advertising, must be based on the law on languages," he
said in an exclusive interview with the Interfax-Ukraine news agency.

16:31:22 EET-2
http://www.interfax.kiev.ua/eng/go.cgi?31,20061109008