Books for review in Language Policy

Leigh Oakes l.oakes at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 16:59:46 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

As one of the incoming book review editors for Language Policy, I would like to draw your attention to the books listed below which I have received. If you are interested in reviewing any of these titles, please contact me at l.oakes at qmul.ac.uk, indicating the title and your postal address. Reviews are generally 1,000 words in length and due three months after the book has been received by the reviewer. Editorial guidelines and more details about the journal are available at:

http://www.springer.com/west/home/linguistics/applied+linguistics?SGWID=4-40371-70-35756061-detailsPage=journal|description

I would be grateful if you could forward this list to any interested and qualified colleagues or students.

With thanks,

Leigh Oakes

Co-Editor of Book Reviews (Asia, Australia, Canada and Europe)

Jourdan, Christine & Tuite, Kevin (2006). Language, Culture, and Society. New York: Cambridge.

McLeod, Wilson (2006). Revitalising Gaelic in Scotland: Policy, Planning and Public Discourse. Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press.

Mar-Molinero, Claire & Stevenson, Patrick (eds) (2006). Language ideologies, policies and practices: Language and the future of Europe.  New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Craith, Máiréad N. (2006). Europe and the politics of language: Citizens, migrants and outsiders.  New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Meinhof, Ulrike H. & Galasinski, Dariusz (2005). The language of belonging. New York: Palgrave  Macmillan.

Kaplan, Robert B. & Baldauf, Richard B., Jr. (eds) (2005). Language planning and policy in Europe, Vol. I: Hungary, Finland and Sweden. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters Ltd.

Nero, Shondel J. (ed) (2006). Dialects, Englishes, creoles and education. Mahwah, New Jersey:  Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Cunningham, Denis & Hatoss, Anikó (eds) (2005). An international perspective on language policies, practices and proficiencies. Belgrave: Fédération internationale des professeurs de langues vivantes.

Baldauf, R. B. and Kaplan, R. B. (eds). (2006) Language Planning and Policy in the Pacific, Volume 1: Fiji, The Philippines and Vanuatu. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

I will also shortly be receiving the following:

Rubdy, R. and Sarceni, M. (2006). English in the World: Global Rules, Global Roles. London: Continuum. ISBN: 0826489060

Crystal, David (2006). Language and the Internet. New York: Cambridge

Joseph, J. E. (2006). Language and politics. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

Omoniyi, Tope & Fishman A. Joshua (eds) (2006). Explorations in the Sociology of Language and Religion. Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

----
Dr Leigh Oakes
School of Modern Languages
Queen Mary, University of London