Ontario: McGuinty Government Invests In Francophone Student Success

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:03:56 UTC 2007

McGuinty Government Invests In Francophone Student Success

    Francophone Achievement Shows Students Getting The Support They Need

    OTTAWA, March 30 /CNW/ - The McGuinty government is boosting its
investment in Ontario's French-language schools to support continued
improvement for the province's French-language students, Minister
Responsible for Francophone Affairs Madeleine Meilleur announced today.
"We're proud of our track record to make Ontario's French-language schools
great places to learn," said Meilleur. "Our government has recognized the
unique challenges these boards face in helping our francophone students
succeed."

    This year, the province will invest an additional $73 million in
Ontario's French-language schools. Since this government came to office,
per pupil funding for French-language school boards has grown by 42 per
cent - or $317 million - reaching $1.089 billion for the 2007-08 school
year.  This year's funding boost for French-language school boards will
help ensure the quality of French-language education and combat the
assimilation of French-speaking students. The investment includes $10
million for additional targeted supports to provide a wider range of
programs and courses, particularly in French-language secondary schools.

    "Our government's investment in education is paying off for our
students," said Education Minister Kathleen Wynne. "During the last four
years, we've seen a significant improvement in student outcomes, and we
want to go even further still."  Francophone student enrolment is on the
rise for a second consecutive school year, despite declining enrolment
provincially, assimilation and a low proportion of francophone
immigration.

    Success by French-language students includes:
    -   An increase in provincial test scores of between five and 15
        percentage points
    -   A rise of five per cent in graduation rates to 81 per cent - just
        four points short of the 2010 provincial target - over the past
	two years
    -   Grade 6 French-language students reaching the 75 per cent target
	in math two years early
    -   Grade 6 French-language girls reaching the target in all subject
        areas.

    "We will continue working with our education partners to help our
francophone students reach their potential," added Meilleur.

    Disponible en francais

                              www.edu.gov.on.ca
                           www.ontario.ca/progress

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/March2007/30/c8544.html