language shift

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:33:17 UTC 2007

Stab,
	as usual you ask difficult questions!  But I think you probably come
up with the best answer yourself.  Think of Britain.  Since the
invasion of the Germanic hordes (I am thinking of the Angles and the
Saxon), part of - and that is an important proviso- the population has
been steadily involved in some kind of shift, from the Gaelic lges of
Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Manx and Cornwall to English, some of the
upper classes to French (1066 and all that; the statutes of Kilkenny
arounf mid 13oo's among other things exhorting the Irish to speak
English was written in French)  from dialects to standard English,
today from immigrant languages to English, and in revitalization of
back to lges shifted from like Welsh, etc.  It is a steady  process of
shift of various combinations of the population. Plus all the EFL
populations around the world. Etc.  You can look at Sweden which most
people think of as a homogenous population with the Saami shifting
since the Middle Ages and still shifting; plus all the immigrants as
well as the Finns  (in Sweden) shifting in spite of heroic efforts at
mother-tongue maintenance, as well as the upper classes being virtually
bilingual (tricky concept that) in English through educational efforts.
Etc.  Take Alsace etc.  I get tired just thinking of all that shifting,
Christina