language shift

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Mon Aug 13 04:39:47 UTC 2007

I had a student in a language and development communication class who asked
why not teach everyone to speak English. It was the kind of rhetorical
question that is great for discussion and one that I wish people in
international development would ask - not because I think it is appropriate
in a context of practice, but because their assumptions often seem to be
implicitly along these lines and such an explicit question would hopefully
engender some thought and discussion.

Language shift may tend to go in the direction of majority tongues (though I
have a question on that, below), but if one went with the flow or even, per
the student's suggestion, tried to plan for a faster flow, there would be:

1) A lot of knowledge and culture lost with the languages thus lost and
2) A lot of people who are left on the sidelines of information and
discourse

THis is of course not new, but I find the go with the flow suggestion (even
if not seriously proposed) to be a bit dangerous in reinforcing a tendency
to discount the languages (and hence knowledge, culture, and participation)
of the less powerful/well-off.

My perspective is based mainly on study of and experience in West Africa,
but a colleague just shared some comments about a program for "information
literacy" in Afghanistan that is apparently focused on English, without
attention to first languages. I have yet to read the project report, but his
comment was that many such programs seem to have thie "English-centric"
approach. My guess is that this is a function of the origin of the funding
and the project designers (in core-Anglophone countries), the unfamiliarity
of the experts with language issues (a disciplinary divide), and an
assumption that English as the emerging global language is the only one that
matters anyway.

In the latter case, going with the perceived flow assures the minimization
of the minority lnguages (or even the majority languages in the locality).

THis is particularly sad in the case of technology-related projects since in
several ways information technology offers the possibility to overcome some
of the "language barriers" and biases that disfavor the minority languages.

It is also entirely unecessary in the sense that one need not discount use
of local languages in information literacy in order to enhance use of
international English. Indeed it is argued that L1 use of IT facilitates L2
use.

The question I have re the flow of language shift is whether there is a
point where the shift reverses. Examples like Welsh and Catalan come to
mind. An analogy might be the cycles of demographic shift or environmental
use in Western development transition. Is there a point (related to
education and income??) where a language community can reverse the shift to
the extent of maintaining a dynamic bilingualism?

Don Osborn