Looking for article on invented languages (Esperanto etc.) and one on World Englishes

humphrey tonkin tonkin at hartford.edu
Mon Aug 13 09:58:50 UTC 2007

I don't know of a single article that pulls this information together in quite this way, but the following may be useful:

Pool, Jonathan. 1991. The official language problem. American Political Science Review 85(2): 495-514.

Fettes, Mark.  1991.  Europe's Babylon: Towards a Single European Language?  History of European Ideas 13: 201-213.

Fettes, Mark.  1997. Esperanto and language policy; exploring the issues.  Language Problems and Language Planning 21: 66-77.

There's also a book by Pierre Janton, Esperanto: Language, Literature, and Community (Albany: SUNY Press, 1993) -- plus loads of stuff on the Web.

Humphrey Tonkin
President Emeritus & University Professor of the Humanities
Office:  Mortensen Library, University of Hartford
            West Hartford, CT 06117, USA
            Tel: +1 860-768-4448    Fax: +1 860-768-4411
Home:  279 Ridgewood Road,
            West Hartford, CT 06107, USA
            Tel: +1 860-561-2669    Fax: +1 860-561-5219