US universities open for business; US woos top Latin American students

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 14:44:11 UTC 2007

August 24, 2007 edition - http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0824/p06s01-woam.html

US woos top Latin American students

US universities are 'open for business,' said US education secretary
Margaret Spellings as she announced new student exchange initiatives
this week.
By Matthew Malinowski | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor

Santiago, Chile

When US Education Secretary Margaret Spellings arrived in Chile this
week, she brought an important message. The US wants "Chilean students
to know that American higher education is open for business to
students from our neighbors," said Ms. Spellings.  Her trip to South
America this week is an attempt to attract students put off by lengthy
visa delays in the years after 9/11. While in Chile, she confirmed the
creation of 100 annual scholarships for students who want to complete
their doctorate studies in the United States, as well as future
programs aimed at furthering education exchange between the two
countries.

The initiatives will sponsor the best and brightest of Chile's
students in an effort to open up opportunities that had until now been
possible mainly for the country's elites.  The move reflects the Bush
administration's interest in education and is part of a renewed US
effort to win back hearts and minds in a region that it has been
heavily criticized for ignoring, say analysts.  "Anything that the
[US] can do to increase the number of Latin American students who
study at US universities is going to be very positive," says Jeffrey
Puryear, vice president for social policy at the Washington-based
Inter-American Dialogue. "I think that the [Bush] administration is
showing a concern to reaching out to Latin America. It is a win-win
situation."

Looking toward the future

The recently announced scholarship program aims to draw potential PhD
students who study in fields deemed to be pertinent for Chile's
future, such as science and technology, public policy, environmental
studies, education, and public health. The Chile program stipulates
that participants return to Chile and work for at least two years
after receiving their PhDs.

Aside from covering the costs of doctorate studies, the scholarship
will also pay for predeparture English language training.

Chilean and US officials hope the language training will attract
capable students from more modest backgrounds who ordinarily would not
have the opportunity to study in the US.

"This way we can go beyond the usual candidates that would normally
apply to a study abroad program," Spellings said.

Spellings told reporters Monday that there are also future plans in
the works, such as teacher exchanges for both high school and
university programs. She also said she was hopeful that Chileans would
find jobs in both the public and private sectors upon returning to
their home country.

This initiative comes as part of the US officials' increased emphasis
on education as a centerpiece of foreign policy in the region.

"We have expanded the educational exchange program. We have tried to
expand the notion of what cultural exchange is," explained Craig
Kelly, former US ambassador to Chile, shortly before leaving his
position in early August.

"Our focus on young people and on themes such as science and
technology means that we are looking to the future. We already have
good bilateral relations, and we are trying to ensure them for the
future."

According to US embassy figures, the number of shorter-term J1 student
visas (for exchange visitors participating in a program approved by
the State Department) issued to Chileans has risen in recent years.
However, only 1,000 longer-term F1 student visas were issued in 2006,
as compared to 1,286 in 2001.

Aiming to win hearts and minds

Still, aside from aiming to boost the number of top quality Latin
American students at US schools, experts confirm that Washington is
aiming to soften its image in the region.

"Since President Bush's March visit to Latin America, there has been a
rhetorical shift in US-Latin American relations to focus on social
justice as a main US concern," says Shannon O'Neil, a Latin American
studies fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington.

"The Bush administration hopes with its rhetorical shift to improve
its relationship with Latin American countries by explicitly
recognizing issues that matter to Latin Americans and their leaders,"
she says. "The importance of issues of poverty, inequality, safety,
and economic opportunity were readily apparent in the campaigns of
last year's numerous presidential elections [throughout the region].
US rhetoric – if not resources – is catching up with these realities."

Ms. O'Neil also points out that this effort is not very big in scale.

"Few new resources have been committed to programs to fulfill this
rhetorical mandate," says O'Neil. "This new program is a case in point
... the US commitment is 100 more potential visas for pre-selected
Chilean students."

Chilean students are excited

In spite of the Bush administration's low popularity in the region,
Chilean students view this initiative as a harbinger of change.

"Today, the majority of the people who study abroad have already
studied at private schools and come from a well-off socioeconomic
background. Chileans who have gotten their advanced degrees abroad
have done so because they had studied English intensively since
elementary school," says Hector Madrid, who is interested in pursuing
an advanced degree in psychology in the US.

Katherine Caceres, a student of political science at the Universidad
de Chile in Santiago, says the new US program will help break down the
language barrier.

"I think that these scholarships are a good idea for the main reason
that they open doors for more students who would have not been able to
study in the [US]," says Ms. Caceres. "They generate greater
opportunities for people to develop their skills.

"In the past, many Chilean students have not had access to an
education in the US because of the language. English is a big issue
for students such as myself."

For some students, the ramifications of such scholarships would go
beyond academics.

"These types of programs will certainly generate a more positive image
of the United States among Chileans," says Hector Carbacho, who hopes
to one day earn a PhD in Social Psychology in the US. "Many people
already know the [US] to be one of the richest and most powerful
nations in the world. It would be good to see that country helping
developing countries."

Full HTML version of this story which may include photos, graphics,
and related links:

  http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0824/p06s01-woam.html